Cocaine-crazed thug who beat girlfriend splattering hotel with blood dies in jail

A plumber who subjected his girlfriend to a terrifying 15-minute cocaine-fuelled ordeal at a hotel has been found dead in jail.

Dad Ronnie Gaunt, from Halewood, died at HMP Risley on Wednesday while serving his sentence.

A prison spokesperson also confirmed that Gaunt’s death is not believed to have been coronavirus related.

The 38-year-old was previously jailed for viciously beating the mother of his children until she lost consciousness after she tried to leave the luxury Hilton Hotel where he had gone on a drink and drug-fulled rampage.

His 25-year-old girlfriend was attacked in their room after Gaunt had thrown a tantrum at the Manchester city centre hotel, accusing other guests of discriminating against him ”because he was white”, the Echo reports.

The thug grabbed her around the throat with both hands shouting: “You’re not going, you sl*g”.

He then chased her down the corridor as she tried to flee.

He grabbed her by the hair pulling clumps out of her scalp then began kicking her and punching her in the face and head in a beating lasting up to 15 minutes. One guest tried to intervene but Gaunt told him to “f*** off.”

Police found blood spattered over the walls of the corridor and in the lift and an empty snap-bag containing cocaine belonging to Gaunt was found in the hotel room.

Gaunt eventually fled in a lift and was arrested outside the hotel by security staff who pursued him.

Gaunt was jailed for 42 months after pleading guilty to GBH in September 2019 and was sent to the Warrington prison.

At the time, a court heard Gaunt had taken his girlfriend away for a romantic weekend, bought her birthday presents and took her for a meal to a swanky restaurant – before throwing the crazed tantrum after snorting cocaine during their night out.

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Justice said: “HMP Risley prisoner Ronnie Gaunt died in custody on 15 April 2020 and our condolences are with his family and friends.

“As with all deaths in custody, there will be an independent investigation by the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman.”

Gaunt also had previous convictions for harassment against the victim.